Our founder, Sweta Doshi, is pregnant with her third baby! She’s put together her list of must-haves, collected over nearly a decade of motherhood. Bubbsi’s team of trusted mom friends weighed in to make sure she wasn’t missing anything crucial. (The stroller, carrier and diaper bag trends change so fast!) Naturally, we gravitated towards products from small, woman-owned companies.
Here's Sweta’s entire baby checklist, including her notes on what to look for and a brand recommendations with links. * indicates a female founder! Shop or download below.
If this feels like an overwhelming number of brands - don’t stress! Remember that you can add any brand to your Amazon or Babylist registry, even if they don’t sell on those websites!
- CRIB & CHANGING TABLE: Chic, affordable, high quality: Babyletto | Nestig* | IKEA
- CHANGING PAD: Keekaroo or Bumbo are easy to clean, and doesn’t require laundry!
- BASSINET: Rent a SNOO | Halo | Fisher-Price
- ROCKING CHAIR / GLIDER: A comfy, supportive glider with gliding ottoman is worth the splurge if you’re planning to breastfeed!
- BOUNCER: We all tried the fancy ones (ahem, Mamaroo), but came back to the Baby Bjorn bouncer
- CARRIER / BABY WRAP: Solly* wrap for when they’re tiny; Colugo as they get older
- VIDEO MONITOR: Infant Optics* | Nanit
- SOUND MACHINE: Our tried & true Graco one was discontinued, but I’ve heard great things about the Baby Shusher
- STROLLER: This is a biggie. I loved my Uppababy Vista* for the first two kids, due it’s shock absorption on city streets, immense storage, and rider / 2nd seat options. But it’s bulky. I’ve heard the Mockingbird is similar, but more affordable. For 3rd child, I’ll be looking at Babyzen YoYo or Colugo with newborn attachments.
- INFANT CARSEAT: Cybex Aton 2 + stroller adapters (depends on stroller)
- TRAVEL CRIB: lightweight & easy to assemble - Baby Bjorn | Guava Lotus
- DIAPER BAG: So many options! Dagne Dover* | Caraa | State Bags* | Skip Hop Backpack | or get a portable changing pad for an existing bag!
- DIAPER TRASH: Diaper Dekor
- DIAPERS: Coterie* - softest, most absorbent diaper on the market. No diaper rash in 2 years!
- WIPES: Coterie*: plastic-free and 99% water
- DIAPER CREAM: Bubbsi* Oil Balm, obviously! 100% naturally-derived, and works for a multitude of things, including cradle cap and dry patches.
- BATH / SKIN PRODUCTS: Bubbsi* Newborn Starter Set has everything you need for baby soft skin, scalp, and hair! Takes care of multitude of issues like cradle cap, diaper rash, baby acne, etc.
- BABY BATHTUB: I have yet to find a favorite, but recommended from friends: OXO | AngelCare
- HOODED BATHTOWELS: Little West Street*
- BURP CLOTHS: Burpy bibs from Aden + Anais* or Lewis Home*
- BOTTLES / NEWBORN NIPPLES: My first two kids loved Dr Brown’s, but they are plastic and contain SO many parts! I will be trying ComoTomo silicone bottles this time.
- CRIB SHEETS: Lark Adventurewear* | Parachute | Lewis Home* | CocoBeans* (silk!)
- BIBS: Copper Pearl cloth ones for drool / spit up + Mushie* silicone bibs for when they start eating (it’ll be here before you know it!)
- ONESIES & SLEEPERS: Zippers over snaps! 1212* | Lark Adventurewear* | KyteBaby
- NEWBORN UNDERSHIRTS: Just a few side snap ones for before the umbilical cord falls off like these from Gerber.
- HATS, SOCKS, MITTENS: Purchasing a few pairs from Carter’s, they grow out of these so fast, I wouldn’t overthink or overbuy
- BABY BLANKETS: Don’t buy! You’ll likely be gifted more than you want.
- SWADDLE SACKS: A necessity! We liked the Halo Sleepsack and Miracle blanket. KyteBaby sleep sacks for post-swaddle phase.
- FIRST AID / GROOMING KIT: Go with something cheap, you likely will lose & buy these items multiple times :) Also highly recommend the Frida nose sucker because you will need it one day.
- BREASTFEEDING PILLOW: Boppy
- NEWBORN LOUNGER: Everyone loves the Dockatot* but we’ve loved both our Boppy lounger and SnuggleMe Organic and they're more affordable. Also can replace the covers
- HIGHCHAIR: We love the portability & small footprint of Inglesina as our everyday chair, but Stokke is great too. Also recommend a Bumbo for early months.
- PLAY: Lovevery play gym
- FEEDING: Beaba or Raised Real for little ones | Daily Harvest for mom!
...AND DON’T FORGET, FOR BREASTFEEDING MAMAS:
- BREASTFEEDING COVER: Apron style was easiest (albeit not cute), something like this
- NURSING BRAS: I will be trying some from Kindred Bravely, Storq or Lively
- NURSING TANKS: H&M
- NIPPLE CREAM: Bubbsi is working on one! Until then, I will try Hatch’s
- BREAST PUMP: Spectra
- MILK STORAGE BAGS: Hated the single use plastic, but these are necessary
- BREAST LEAKAGE PADS / GEL PADS: Kindred Bravely
DOWNLOAD THE CHECKLIST BELOW!